Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2019

A Toast

I thought to drink
The last of my vacation
In this glass, 
This mid-summer amber, 
This hard-won 
Fruit of the cane, 

I thought to 
Remember it so, 
Free of the tangle of 
Savage vines, 
Thorned whips, 
Secret holes 
That would eat my ankles.  

I thought to honor my 
Elders, knowing too well
My own lower grade; 
But without resentment, 
With nothing but 
Gratitude, 
Nothing but pride 
For that measure given.  

I thought to salute my 
Working brothers and sisters,
As poor a mate as I, 
Thankful for those lessons taught.  

I thought to remember 
My departed friend,
My childhood gone with him, 
With this medicine 
That cures all hope.  

I saw his face then,
Wise, calm, maybe turned to the 
Lowering sun--
And I, abashed, 
Having stumbled into 
That far-away campsite 
A famished ghost 

And bewildered 

To find myself there

After all that running.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers